What is the process for obtaining assistance from DURA?

The first step is to call our office at 303-534-3872 for assistance. An application can be filled out in person or over the phone. Once DURA receives all the documents required for the application, your eligibility will be reviewed (this process will take about one week, except in the case of an emergency). If the application meets the program requirements, a rehabilitation specialist will inspect your home and review with you a description of work detailing the rehabilitation to be done. Bids will be obtained by three qualified contractors on DURA's approved bid list and the lowest bidder will be awarded the contract (this process will take about two weeks).

How long will it take before a contractor works on my home?

Contractors generally start the work within one month of the loan closing. However, this varies with the schedule of both the homeowner and the contractor. Depending on the complexity and amount of work, the construction period can take up to three or four months. The entire time from application to completion of a renovation under the Single Family Rehabilitation program can usually range from three months to six months. With an emergency, however, turnaround can happen as quickly as 24 hours from receipt by DURA of documentation indicating eligibility.

Can I use my own contractor?

DURA has a pool of qualified contractors who bid on jobs on a rotating basis. Your contractor can bid on the job; however, they will need to become qualified under our program and will need to submit proof of contractor license, insurance, worker's compensation and other items required by the program. If they meet all these requirements and are awarded the winning bid, their work progress will be closely monitored by the rehabilitation specialist, as is the work of all contractors.

What types of loans does DURA offer?

DURA offers zero- and low-interest loans to those whose income is at or below 80 percent of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Area Median Income (AMI) for Denver County, depending on the program. All loans are secured by a promissory note and a deed of trust. All loans are due upon sale or refinance of the property or when the owner ceases to occupy the home.

Are these home improvement loans?

DURA loans are different from standard home improvement loans for several reasons. First, DURA loans have no interest or low interest. DURA can only repair or replace items that are considered essential, or that do not meet minimum code requirements. In addition, DURA provides technical assistance and monitors the construction process from beginning to end. With a home improvement loan, you must find your own contractor and monitor construction yourself.

Can I do the work myself? Will DURA pay for materials?

No. Under this program, all work is done by licensed contractors and subcontractors who obtain permits. All work is inspected by DURA representatives and by qualified persons at the City and County of Denver's Building Department. Funds are not disbursed directly to the homeowner at any time. Payments to contractors shall be approved by the homeowner.

How do I know your contractors are reputable?

DURA has a qualification process that all contractors must complete when they apply to provide services for our housing programs. They must be appropriately licensed through the Denver Building Department, insured and carry adequate worker's compensation coverage. We also check references, inspect their work regularly, and monitor performance over time. Many contractors have worked on DURA projects for an average of 10 or more years.

Can you reimburse me for money I have already spent on repairs?

No, we cannot.

What kind of work can I have done?

Essential repairs and repairs needed to bring a home up to city code requirements qualify under the DURA program. Items such as roofing, plumbing, heating, electrical, sewer repair or replacement, windows, and handicap accessibility are a few of the items that qualify, depending on the program.

Who qualifies for these programs?

You must be a resident of the City and County of Denver and you must own and occupy the property needing repairs, unless you are applying for funds from the RHAMP program. All DURA housing rehabilitation programs require that you meet income requirements. Other loan underwriting requirements also apply, such as a current mortgage, homeowners insurance and reasonably good credit.